09 September 2009

No Spend month - Week 2

This challenge is allowing me to think through purchases we are making. In a way it is freeing, because I don't feel the need to browse by the clearance racks. I know our home has more than enough to survive another two weeks and possibly more. Like many homes in America, I have extra cleaning supplies under sinks, I have extra toothpaste and toothbrushes in our overnight bags, I have extra. America has extra. In that mind frame, I also donated some of the "extra" in my home. I didn't count this as a savings or "spenditure". But, it needs to be noted.


Week Two Spent:
Groceries $46
Eating out 16
Starbucks 3
Computer Repair 58
Dog Food 43
Total: $166

Ways we saved this week:
-We put off a special class I was wanting to take. It would have been $125 for each of us.
Savings: $250 (this month, although the class is probably in our future)
-Business lunch savings: I sent David to work with his lunch, then he ate at his desk. I picked him up "for lunch". We drove around downtown, drove out to Memorial Park and sat and watched the squirrels and birds. Saved $20
-Food savings: I cooked a 3 pound brisket (think pot roast) in the crockpot for 24 hours. We had 2 meals this weekend on it and we have enough for 3 lunches this week. I served the brisket over brown rice with a basic salad. Spent $12 on brisket used spices on hand to marinate the meat. Five meals for two for $20!!

Other ways we gave back:
Donated 3 bags of clothes to Salvation Army.
Plus 6 more boxes of books, house ware and kitchen supplies to Goodwill.

Our budget is under attack for the remaining two weeks. I didn't budget for a computer problem, nor did I budget for dog food. Ughh.. Those two alone were $101 this week. This will definitely challenge us to watch our spending over the next two weeks. It can be done, I have watched "Small Notebook" get through a whole month on $250. Here's our money breakdown:

Spent
Week One: $135
Week Two: 166
Total Spent this month: $301

Saved:
Week One: $215
Week Two: 270
Total Saved this month: $485

2 comments:

berrypatch said...

Great job, Christa! I may attempt this next month - we'll see. LOL Although if I did it in November - it might be easier - hubby leaves for 10 days to go to camp so it's just me & the boys.

C Killingsworth said...

Thanks Lisa!

You can do it.. in fact I'm thinking I will try to do it again next month. I am finding SO much stuff around the house that we just don't use.

It is really an eye opener. I definitely recommend doing it though.

:)